Office of Facilities Management
Executive Insurance Committee
Bishop Robert J. Cunningham
John Mirabito, Chairman
Tony D’Amato Danielle Cummings Msgr. Timothy Elmer
Joe Headd Jim Merrill Dave Pajak
Michael J. Sciotti Kimberly Townsend Dan Walker
Support Staff: John Barsanti, Bill Doran
Guests: Bob Connor, Tim Tumulty, Mathew Reed
WHAT PROTECTED SELF-INSURANCE MEANS
In effect, this means that every parish or agency is sharing in the payment of claims through its premiums.
It means also that the amount of premium paid will have a direct relationship to the amount of claims paid.
Such a program demands an increased awareness and responsibility for safety conditions,
and the correction of improper, hazardous or unsafe situations.
The benefits of such awareness will be a reduction in total claims, and a continued savings
in the cost of insurance to all parishes and agencies.
We maintain very high levels of Self-Insurance Retention.
Above these levels we have purchased various levels of Excess Insurance to cover against large catastrophes.
Our program must, therefore, be managed in accordance with the recognized principles and practices of underwriting
and claims adjustment that is required under the terms of our excess policies
- All Risk Coverage
- No co-insurance requirement
- All Properties fully protected
- Newly acquired properties automatically insured
- Liability exposures fully protected
- All parishes organizations and activities protected
- Automatic coverage for Parish and Diocesan events
- Favorable costs
The management of our Program is closely monitored by our excess carriers, the State of New York Insurance Department, the Motor Vehicle Bureau, and the Workers’ Compensation Board. It is a great privilege to be allowed to self-insure in the State of New York, but it is a privilege we can lose if we do not continually comply with the strict requirements.
Teamwork is clearly a vital ingredient to a successful Risk Management Program. This Risk Management team is all of us working together to make the Diocese of Syracuse, a safe place in which to carry out our Christian mission.
- All loss adjustments – Claims Investigation – Claim Settlements
- A complete Safety Program – including Safety Inspections of all locations
- Calculation of all Parish charges
- Collection of claims against others
- Consultation on all insurance matters
- Safe Environment Program
- Facilities Management; In-House Water/Fire Mitigation Program